Berlin – Police said on Tuesday they had arrested five suspects in Germany and Italy in connection with the gangland-style killings of six Italian mobsters four months ago.

A police spokesperson in the western city of Duisburg, scene of the bloodbath in August, said three of the suspects had been seized in Italy and two in Germany. The Italian authorities are leading the investigation.

Six members of the ‘Ndrangheta crime clan were gunned down outside a pizzeria in Duisburg in a crime Italian police said was a settling of scores in a bloody feud that has left more than a dozen dead since 1991.

In the wake of the killings, Germany and Italy sealed a pact last week to better co-ordinate efforts to fight organised crime.

The agreement led to the creation of a joint task force to combat international syndicates operating in Germany and Italy.

AFP

Published on the Web by IOL on 2007-12-18 11:12:45